- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers in brine, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 cup low-sodium and fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- croutons, for serving
1. Combine drained peppers and diced tomatoes in a blender. Puree until smooth.
2. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add pepper-tomato mixture, tomato puree, chicken broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat just to simmering, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream. Return to stove and heat through. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a few croutons.